How does it work?You can use pretty much any endurance workout and apply it to HIIT; the only difference is the intensity and effort you have to put in. Every HIIT workout consists of short and intense bursts of work, putting in 150% effort until you have nothing more to give. Of course, you can notch down the intensity level, but if you want the best results then you need to give it all you’ve got! You alternate these bursts with rest breaks, but there’s no sitting down, you just drastically lower the tempo.
Unless you are super-human, you may struggle to maintain such a high-intensity workout for more than half an hour, which is why HIIT is excellent! These workouts can last anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes, depending on what the exercise is, and how much stamina you have. This also makes it the ideal workout for those who don’t have the time to go to the gym but still need to shift the weight. Doing two or three 10 minute HIIT sessions a week is enough for you to see the results you want.
Popular HIIT Workouts
- 1 - Pedal as fast as you can for 30 seconds;
- 2 - Slow down the pace for 1-2 minutes; and
- 3 - Repeat steps 1 and 2 for 15-30 minutes.
- 1 - Warm up with a slow jog for a few minutes;
- 2 - Sprint for 15 seconds;
- 3 - Slow jog or walk for 1-2 minutes; and
- 4 - Repeat steps 2-3 for 10- 20 minutes.
- 1 - Do as many squat jumps as you can for 30-90 seconds;
- 2 - Walk or march for 30-90 seconds; and
- 3 - Repeat steps 1 and 2 for 10- 20 minutes. (Remember that your technique is essential with this one, don’t do half a job!)
If you fancy trying out any of these HIIT workouts, our supplements could really help to enhance your performance.
Benefits of HIITTraining this way will maximize your health and fitness in minimum time, burning more calories and leaving you more time to do what you need to do. HIIT also elevates your metabolism because of how hard your body works, so much so, your body can continue burning calories for hours after you finish.
This form of training also targets visceral fat, which is the most dangerous type of fat that your body can carry as it surrounds your internal organs. Excess visceral fat is associated with several health problems, including type 2 diabetes. So not only will you lose weight and feel great, your body will thank you as well.